Monday, March 30, 2009

Tail of terror

Last week, Shiny Object reader, Sally, introduced us to her relatives Hickory & Hazel Knutt. Innocent enough. But who knew it would foreshadow a real-life horror story in Northern Ireland, where the Nutt family home (aka The Nutt House) has been besieged by a seething swarm of scavenging squirrels?

Mrs. Oonagh Nutt says she's spent thousands of pounds trying to get rid of the bushy-tailed beasts: "I've had pest control round putting poison down in the roof space and travel routes through the house...We've had squirrel catchers, traps, lights, sonar. Everything but the kitchen sink." All to no avail.

If all else fails, Mrs. Nutt could try, oh I don't know...changing her name?!

12 comments:

Harmony said...

That picture is beyond terrifying!

garrito said...

That's whatcha get when you Google "rabid squirrel".

Bev said...

Dude. Nightmares.

KILLER BUNNIES!

Samsmama said...

Looks like a Gremlin. Terrifying.

The Nutt's need to pack up their sacks (heh) and move.

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

i srsly think that's a hyena photoshopped onto a poor little innocent squirrel.

also, i heart irony.

garrito said...

I think you're right, MoFM. Those are not squirrel ears, and I was trying to figure out what animal they belonged to.

Funny, Samsmama, I was going to use that photo of the squirrel with the huge nut sack. http://billperkins.us/images/squirrel_nuts.jpg

Bev-Don't let the bed bugs bite!

Samsmama said...

Could have gone my whole life without seeing that picture.

Check you out, with all your followers and comments! Yay! However, I sort of miss the day when you were my dirty little secret.

garrito said...

Samsmama, you can at least take solace knowing you were my first. Well, slopping second. Oh wait...fifth?! God, I'm a blog whore. A blore.

Cary McNeal said...

That's Nutts.

I shoot squirrels in my yard with a slingshot. My dogs tree them, then I plug 'em with a marble. I've gotten pretty fricken accurate with that thing. I also use it on the dog around the corner who barks incessantly. With a little help from Google satellite maps, I figured out how to arc the shot up over the trees and land squarely on his yippee ass. Except for that time I heard glass shattering. I might've missed him on that one.

garrito said...

Please tell me you don't "Mike Huckabee" 'em after you plug 'em, Cary.

Cary McNeal said...

I'm not sure what that means, G, but from what I know of Huckabee, it is unlikely that I do.

garrito said...

Huckabee apparently has a soft spot for deep fried squirrel.

Speaking of which, during my freshman year in college I lived on a floor with this guy who used to head out at the crack of dawn to hunt them varmints. Dude even wore a coonskin cap. (I've gotta dig up a photo.) Called me a city slicker. Hoo-ee.